2 July 2007

American Diary part 23 - Montana

July 1st I'm in Montana after a week of amazing scenery and cowboy living on a ranch in Sweet Grass County near the small town of Big Timber - I'll let the photos speak for themselves, but basically I've been riding 6 hours every day - sometimes 8 hours over cattle country, up mountain passes, past the snow line and galloping across vast stretches of Montana prairie - fantastic! I even got involved in a real life cattle drive on horseback - just like city slickers! Friday night was a hoot at the local Big Timber Rodeo - I saw everything from kids on rodeo sheep to a man being crushed beneath a bucking bronco (he got away just about ok), barrel racing, cattle roping and some guys from the ranch I stayed at trying to win money for riding a wold cow - hilarious! Today I visited the Battle of Little Bighorn memorial and stood near the spot where General Custer made his last stand against the indians. Enjoy the photos - next stop is Calgary for more rodeo action at the annual stampede. Bye for now!